Monday, July 27, 2009

Top Five: Favorite Fight Scenes
Spoiler Warning!!
As long as there have been movie's there have been fight scenes. But where two burly men throwing a few punches used to be enough, it takes extensive choreography to impress today's audiences. Luckily we have minds up to the challenge.

5.) King Kong: Kong vs. The V-Rex pack
It's the brutality and the scale of this fight that brought it to mind when I was making this list, but it was that beautifully line less moment with Anne towards the end that got it a slot. My apologies for having no clip to offer, I couldn't find an un-altered one.

4.) Equilibrium: John Preston vs. Dupont
I tend to shy away from gun fights. I prefer more elegant weapons, from a more civilized age. But since, in my opinion, this movie elevated the bar on gun play, it's only fitting that it would out do it's brethren and make it all the way to slot #4.

3.) Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix: Dumbledore vs. Lord Voldemort
I had waited through countless movies, my hopes always being met with pure disappointment. Who would have guessed that Harry Potter of all movies, would succeed where Lord of the Rings and so many others failed. This is what a battle between two wizards should look like.

2.) Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi
First, they were the Chosen One, and the Skeptic. Then they were Teacher and Student. As a mutual respect grew the became friends. As times grew dark they became brothers in arms - and then simply brothers. But in the final hour- they were none of these. The two men who had been everything to one another were now ,simply, a Jedi and a Sith.

1.) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Yu Shu Lien vs. Jen Yu
Yu Shu Lien has found herself in the presence of a spoiled brat in desperate need of a spanking. The one problem: the spoiled brat has trained her self from a manual created by some of the greatest fighters in history, and is in possession of a nigh unbreakable sword.
The coolest thing about this scene to me is how telling it is of Yu Shu Lien's character. Throughout this movie we are shown time and again her sensitivity and gentleness. But I think it's here that were are truly shown the flip side. Gentle and sensitive she may be- but do you notice how she pulls weapon after weapon from the racks that line the walls? Each one is a different tool requiring mastery of different technique- and she is deadly with them all. Well... all but one.
And it doesn't hurt that it's fought by two beautiful women.

Honorable mention goes to:
Star Wars: Episode I- The Phantom Menace: Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi.
It was hard leaving this scene off. Anyone who knows me knows it is near and dear to me. I had originally had it tied
for second place, but in the end I felt that the emotions
backing Episode III's scenes ran much higher. As the finale and a more personal battle- I felt it was the better choice. Darth Maul if your out there... I'm thinking of you.

R.I.P Darth Maul 1999-1999

All videos courtesy of youtube.com. Special thanks to the posters:
Hammertime, picscrazy, L30x, SpellTube
All Movie clips are used simply for entertainment purposes. I own nothing.
All rights to Star Wars reserved to Lucasfilms.
Please don't sue me.

No comments: